Girl Scouts USA is entering their second 100 years of Scouting-
Will you be a part of history?
Girl Scout Mission Statement
To build girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
The Girl Scout Leadership Experience incorporates the discover-connect-take action keys to leadership. Girl Scout experiences are girl-led as much as possible, and encourage learning by doing and cooperative learning processes.
About the Avon Service Unit
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Avon Service Unit is the organizing body of all Girl Scout troops in the town of Avon. First started in 1976 due to growth in the Avon and Plainfield area there were only 18 troops the first year. This year after celebrating 35 years of scouting in Avon we have a diverse unit including over 50 troops with more than 300 girls in grades K-12! Over the years there have been many girls that have achieved the top honor in Girl Scouts in Avon and since 1980 the highest award has been the Gold award. We have been honored to have 39 young women earn this award to date.
Our Service Unit generally offers 1 event a month for the entire Service Unit such events have included Sup-N-Sing, a Mother/Daughter and Father/Daughter event, Fun-O-Ree, and Thinking Day among others. All troops offer activities that center around the girl and are girl lead providing opportunities to learn by working in a cooperative environment with caring adults. Each troop also will help girls:
Make new friends
Earn badges for things such as science, art, citizenship, nutrition, outdoors
Participate in field trips and camping adventures
Plan and participate in local service projects
About Girl Scouts of Central Indiana
Quick Facts about Girl Scouts of Central Indiana:
- Impacts the lives of more than 41,000 girls in 3,500 troops and at outreach sites across the council.
- Serves 45 central Indiana counties.
- One in nine girls in grades K to 12 in central Indiana is a Girl Scout.
- Since 2009, girls and their customers have donated nearly 250,000 packages of Girl Scout cookies to Operation: Cookie Drop, which sends cookies to the military.
There are 6 pathways in which a girl can participate in Girl Scouting. Girls can choose any one, all, or some of these pathways in a single year, although some pathways are geared more towards specific grade levels. The 6 pathways include:
- Camp- Girls participate in day and resident camps with a focus on the outdoors and/or environmental education
- Events- Girls participate in events (e.g. career day)
- Series- Girls participate in a series of programs with the same group of girls relating to a specific theme or purpose (e.g. high-adventure teen group, completion of the It's Your Story- Tell It journey over a six week period)
- Travel- Girls plan, earn money, prepare and participate in regional, national and international trips
- Troops- Girls participate in a series of programs with the same group of girls over the course of an academic year
- Virtual- Girls participate in interactive, high-quality program activities in a safe, secure, online environment supplemented by live events
Levels of Scouting